• 1845-től, első nagy alkotásai a keleti elemekkel tűzdelt romantikus román stílus képviselői, a fóti r. k. templom, pesti lovarda, az. Unger-ház, stb..A román formákkal később sem szakított, amit a Bakáts téri Ferencvárosi Plébániatemplom bizonyít.
  • 1852-től kezdődött Ybl romantikus korszaka, amelyben híres arisztokrata családoknak épített kastélyokat, templomokat, gazdasági épületeket. A Zichy, Festetics, Apponyi, Andrássy, Esterházy és Orczy családoktól kapott megbízásokat. Ezek mellett természetesen az intézmények és a polgári házak tervezését-építését is vállalja, pld.: Múzeum körúti átjáróház, Unger-Ház,  a Balassa -Ház, a II. világháborúnak áldozatul esett Nemzeti Lovarda, Széchenyiek nagycenki temploma.
    1860-tól a romantika és a hellénizmus rövid átmenete után a neoreneszánsz eszmény követőjévé válik. itáliai tanulmányútja hatására, az olasz reneszánsz stílus újjáteremtésének kérdése foglalkoztatta. Művészete korai és érettebb szakaszában egyaránt kiváló neoreneszánsz stílusú alkotásokat hozott létre, pld.: Budai Első Takarékpénztár épülete, mágnáspaloták, régi Országház, Bazilika, Rác fürdő, a margitszigeti Sósfürdő és Szálló, Fővámház, ma Várkert Kioszk és Bazársor, a királyi palota trónterme és krisztinavárosi szárnya stb.
  • A Bazilika, lipótvárosi Szent István templom belső kiképzését Ybl halála után Kauser József fejezte be.
  • Ekkor készül a Tudományos Akadémia, bútorzatot tervezett a Nemzeti Múzeumba, öntöttvas rácsot a budai rakpartra, majd megtervezte a régi Képviselőházat is. A 60-as évek második felében az akkor Habsburg József tulajdonában lévő Margitszigettel foglalatoskodott, . A területen lévő nagy mennyiségű kénes hévízre alapozva világfürdőt terveztek.
  • 1873 szeptemberében pályázatot hirdettek az Operaház megtervezésére, melyen Ybl Miklós munkája nyerte el a pályadíjat. 1875 októberében látott az építési munkához. A Palladio nyomán kialakított festői főhomlokzata, belső terei és főként lépcsőháza révén a korabeli európai építészet kimagasló alkotásaként tarthatunk számon. Az eseményről még Krúdy is megemlékezett a Budapest vőlegénye című kötetben. “A Sugár út úgy feküdt Budapest testében, mint a Duna Magyarországéban. Mellette, nélküle, kívüle nem lehet elmenni senkinek. A Sugár úttal Pesten nem versenyezhet senki: a város reménysége volt, pedig csak akkor teszi az első kapavágást Podmaniczky Frigyes, Ybl építész és Zofahl mérnök a Hermina téren, ahol az Operaházat kimérik és megraknak a kiásott földdel egy kétkerekű talyigát”. Vajon ki az a vállalkozó szellemű építész, aki az akkor még isten háta mögöttinek tartott helyen, “ahol őszidőben terjedelmes mocsár kerekedik az erre tévedő pesti fiákeres mulatságára, míg tavasszal és nyáron káka és nád terem, benne fészket rak a vadmadár, vadkacsa kotyog és békák kuruttyolnak” – vállalkozik rá, hogy szentélyt emeljen a zenének?

1878. december 7-én tartották meg a bokrétaünnepet.

1887. szeptember 27-én a  Bánk bán előadásával nyílt meg az Operaház, melyen a királyi család is részt vett.

  • Egyidejűleg az olasz, német és francia függőkertek mintájára készült Várkert-bazár megvalósításán is dolgozott az Operaház mellett.
  • 1870-ben elkezdett Fővámház elkészülte után számos negatív kritikát kapott, szemben  Ney Béla miniszteri főmérnök kiemelkedő dícséretével: korszakalkotónak nevezte az épületet.
  • 1884-ben az Andrássy út végébe tervezett Gloriett 1896-ban történt lebontása után, 1898-ban a Széchenyi-hegyre került kilátóként.

 

további bővítés folyamatban

Highlights from his works

 

  • From 1845, his first great creations are representatives of the Romantic Romanesque style interspersed with oriental elements, the RC church of Fót, the riding hall in Pest, the Unger house, etc.. Even later he did not break away from Romanesque forms, as proven by the Ferencváros parish church on Bakáts Square.
  • Ybl’s Romantic period began from 1852, in which he built mansions, churches and farm buildings for famous aristocratic families. He received commissions from the Zichy, Festetics, Apponyi, Andrássy, Esterházy and Orczy families. Besides these, naturally, he also undertook the design and construction of institutions and town houses, e.g. Múzeum Boulevard passage, Unger house, Balassa House, the National Riding Hall which fell victim to World War II, Nagycenk church for the Széchenyies. After a brief interim of Romanticism and Hellenism, from 1860 he became a follower of the Neo-Renaissance ideal. Under the influence of his study trip to Italy, he became occupied with the question of recreating the Italian Renaissance style. Both in the early and more mature stages of his art, he produced outstanding works in the Neo-Renaissance style, e.g.: Buda First Savings Bank building, magnates’ palaces, old Parliament, the Basilica, Rác baths, the Salt Bath and Hotel on Margaret Island, the Main Customs House, Castle Garden Kiosk and Bazaar row, the royal palace throne room and Krisztinaváros wing, etc..
  • The interior design of the Basilica, Saint Stephen’s church in Lipótváros, was completed by József Kauser following Ybl’s death.
  • The Academy of Sciences is completed at this time, he designed furnishings for the National Museum, a cast-iron grille for the Buda wharf, and he also designed the old House of Representatives.
  • In the second half of the 60s he busied himself with Margaret Island, at that time in the possession of József Habsburg. Baths of worldwide renown were planned for the area, based on the large quantities of sulphurous thermal waters to be found there.
  • In the September of 1873 a competition was announced for the design of the Opera House, in which Miklós Ybl’s work won the prize. He began work on the construction in the October of 1875. Due to its picturesque main front configured after Palladio, its internal spaces and chiefly its staircase, it can be considered an outstanding creation of contemporary European architecture. Even Krúdy commemorated the event in his volume entitled Budapest’s bridegroom. “The Avenue lay in the body of Budapest like the Danube in that of Hungary. Beside it, without it, outside it, no-one can pass. No-one can compete with the Avenue in Pest: it was the hope of the city, but only then do Frigyes Podmaniczky, architect Ybl and engineer Zofahl cut the first sod on Hermina Square, where the Opera House is measured out and a two-wheeled barrow loaded up with the dug-out earth.” I wonder who that enterprising architect is, who in a place considered at that time to be the back of beyond, “where in autumn time an extensive marsh springs up to the amusement of Pest residents straying this way in a fiacre, whilst in spring and summer sedge and reeds grow, wild birds build their nests there, wild ducks quack and frogs croak” – undertakes to raise a sanctuary to music.

On 7 December 1878 the topping out ceremony was held.

On 27 September 1997 the Opera House opened with a performance of Bánk bán, which was also attended by the royal family.

Ybl’s designs covered everything, from the huge chandelier made in Mainz (uniquely not in Hungary) to the stage machinery. Learning a lesson from the tragic fire of 1881 in the Ringtheater in Vienna which claimed hundreds of victims, the stalls in the auditorium were altered to a threefold division: 2 exits, a safety curtain (the first in the country) and a sprinkler system were included, as well as two staircases on each level. Instead of the wooden stage fittings usual up till that time, for the first time in the world a hydraulic mechanism was produced from cast iron using the most modern technology of the age. The first stage hydraulics, the mechanism for moving the scenery was operated by water pressure, and served the opera for 100 years. For this and for putting out fires, two wells were drilled in the cellar, which saved many lives during the siege. The water was obtained from the house’s two wells, which were in the cellar under the auditorium. An interesting point is that in Pest, only the Opera House was still operating at 110 volts in 1965.

 

  • At the same time as the Opera House, he was also working on the construction of the Castle Garden bazaar on the pattern of Italian, German and French hanging gardens.
  • Following completion of the Main Customs House begun in 1870 he received a lot of negative criticism, in contrast to the outstanding praise by ministerial chief engineer Béla Ney: he called the building epoch-making.

The Gloriett designed for the end of Andrássy Avenue in 1884, after being demolished in 1896, was relocated to Széchenyi Hill as a lookout point in 1898.Interessantheiten aus Ybls Tätigkeit

Seit 1845, ab seiner ersten größeren Aufträge, ist der mit orientalischen Zügen geschmückter romantischer romanischer Stil in seinen Werken stark repräsentiert, wie das man z.B. an der  römisch-katholischen Kirche in Fót, der Reitschule in Pest, am Haus Unger, usw. sehen kann. Die romanische Formenwelt hat er auch später beibehalten, wie es auch die Franzstadter Pfarrkirche am Bakáts tér zeigt.

1852 begann Ybls romantische Epoche. In dieser Epoche baute er für berühmte aristokratische Familien Schlösser, Kirchen, Wirtschaftsgebäude. Er erhielt Aufträge von der Familie Zichy, Festetics, Apponyi, Andrássy, Esterházy und Orczy. Darüber hinaus nahm er auch natürlich Aufträge für die Planung und Bau von Institutionen und Wohnhäuser an, zB.: das Durchgangshaus am Museum Ring, das Haus Unger, Haus Balassa, die Nationale Reitschule das im II. Weltkrieg zertrümmert wurde, und die Kirche der Familie Széchenyi in Nagycenk.

Ab 1860, nach einer kurzen Übergangsperiode der Romantik und des Hellenismus wurde er zum Folger der Idee der Neonrenaissance. Seine Italienische Studienreise regte ihn an sich mit der Frage der Neuschaffung der italienischen Renaissance zu beschäftigen. In der früheren und reiferen Epoche seiner Kunst schuf er gleichen Falls ausgezeichnete Werke im Neonrenaissance-Stil, wie z.B.: die Gebäude der Ersten Sparkasse von Buda, Schlösser, Altes Parlament, Basilika, Rácz-Bad, Salzbad und Hotel an der Margareteninsel, Zollhaus, Burggarten-Kiosk und Basar, der Thronsaal des Königlichen Palastes und deren Christinastadt-Flügel, usw.

Josef Kauser beendete nach Ybls Tod die innere Ausstattung der Basilika, der St. Stephans-Kirche in Lipótváros.

Zu dieser Zeit wurde die Akademie der Wissenschaften gebaut, er entwarf die Möblierung der Nationalen Galerie, sowie die Eisengitter am Kai von Buda, und fertigte auch die Pläne für den Alten Abgeordnetenhaus. In der zweiten Hälfte der 60-er Jahre beschäftigte ihm die Margareteninsel, die dieser Zeit Eigentum von Josef Habsburg war. Auf die großen schwefelige Thermalquellen basierend plante man ein Weltbad hier.

Im September 1873 wurde die Ausschreibung für den Entwurf des Opernhauses veröffentlicht. Ybls Bewerbung gewann an dieser Ausschreibung und im Oktober 1875 fing er mit den Bauarbeiten an.

Wegen der Malerischen Fassade, der Innenräume und hauptsächlich wegen des Treppenhauses zählt die Oper als ein herausragendes Werk der zeitgenössischen europäischen Architektur. Selbs Krúdy schrieb über den Bau der Oper und erwähnt unter anderem den talentierten Architekten Ybl in seinem Buch “Der Bräutigam von Budapest”. Die Dachgleichenfeier wurde im Dezember 1878 gehalten. Am 27. September 1887 wurde die Oper mit der Vorstellung Bánk Bán eröffnet woran auch die königliche Familie teil nahm.

Neben der Oper arbeitete Ybl gleichzeitig an der Verwirklichung des Burggarten Basars, italienische und französische Hängegarten dienten als dessen Vorlage.

Das Zollhaus, das 1870 fertig wurde, erhielt zahlreiche negative Kritiken, doch Béla Ney bezeichnete die Gebäude als epochemachend.

Die Gloriette die in 1884 ans Ende der Andrássy Straße gebaut wurde wurde in 1896 abgerissen aber zwei Jahre später wurde am Széchenyi-Berg als Auslug wieder aufgestellt.